- Originally published, April 18, 7:51 pm.
- April 18, 8:22 pm:
- The Donald Trump saga just keeps getting more ludicrous. Honestly, you couldn’t make this shit up.
You wouldn’t know it from my Twitter feed, but I have been ill, probably with the flu. This is an extraordinarily rare thing for me, which is in a couple of ways bad:
- To all those I spread this horrendous flu to—and if it gets me, you know it’s horrendous—while I was thinking this was just a bad allergy attack, I apologize. Seriously, take care of yourselves, because you are unlikely to recover as quickly as I have. I started suffering the ‘allergy attack’ Saturday night. It was late Tuesday before I even had an appetite for a bowl of soup, and in the wee hours of Wednesday morning that I scarfed down some apple pie my mom had saved for me. My appetite is almost normal now, but I’m still a bit weak. Oh, and just so you know, this started as a really runny nose. (Umm, yeah. In April, when I might expect my allergies to start kicking in.)
- More generally, I have a bit of trouble actually empathizing with sick people, because it happens to me so rarely. I try to be kind but, to be honest, I really am clueless about what you’re going through. And I think even when I am sick, it’s different: I get hit hard and fast. I spend a lot of time sleeping it off. I might be coughing for a while though, trying to clear the remaining phlegm.
This really says it all: “Despite public criticism from [Donald] Trump, who wrote on Twitter on Wednesday morning that [Jerry] Brown was ‘trying to back out of the National Guard at the Border,’ the terms of the deployment have not changed from Brown’s original announcement.” But oh yeah, Trump is, in the view of some authoritarian populist quoted in an article I didn’t bother to archive, a businessman who knows how to get a good deal. Right.
Ellen Mitchell, “Officials: California ‘not participating’ yet in Trump’s border protection push,” Hill, April 16, 2018, http://thehill.com/policy/defense/383431-officials-california-not-participating-in-trumps-border-protection-push
Alexei Koseff, “Jerry Brown orders National Guard deployment of up to 400 troops,” Sacramento Bee, April 18, 2018, http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article209292514.html
The House of Lords is having a go at Theresa May’s Brexit strategy. She isn’t liking this.
Elizabeth Piper and William James, “British PM May dealt embarrassing Brexit defeat in parliament’s upper house,” Reuters, April 18, 2018, https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-lords-loss/british-pm-may-dealt-embarrassing-brexit-defeat-in-parliaments-upper-house-idUSKBN1HP2I0
Jonathan Chait, “Trump’s Lawyer Forgets to Pretend He’s Innocent, Also Compares Him to Mobster,” New York, April 18, 2018, http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/04/trumps-lawyer-cohen-forgets-to-pretend-trump-is-innocent.html
- Jonathan Chait, “Trump’s Lawyer Forgets to Pretend He’s Innocent, Also Compares Him to Mobster,” New York, April 18, 2018, http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/04/trumps-lawyer-cohen-forgets-to-pretend-trump-is-innocent.html↩
- Alexei Koseff, “Jerry Brown orders National Guard deployment of up to 400 troops,” Sacramento Bee, April 18, 2018, http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article209292514.html↩
- Elizabeth Piper and William James, “British PM May dealt embarrassing Brexit defeat in parliament’s upper house,” Reuters, April 18, 2018, https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-lords-loss/british-pm-may-dealt-embarrassing-brexit-defeat-in-parliaments-upper-house-idUSKBN1HP2I0↩