- Originally published, August 7, 12:59 am.
- August 8, 7:28 am:
- Obviously, the Statue of Liberty is just a European plot. (Legal immigration)
- The article is long. Gawd, it is long. It rambles. Gawd, it rambles. It whines. Gawd, it whines. And it seems like there’s a fucking ad after every god-damned paragraph. But if you want to see what I’m up against when I drive for Uber and Lyft, you could do a lot worse than this article by Ryan Felton. One thing to notice: We see no defense here of how Uber and Lyft treat their drivers; the companies defend themselves by threatening a return to having to stand on a corner to hail a cab. (Ridesharing)
- August 8, 8:20 pm:
- August 8, 10:30 pm:
- Added Corte Madera sunset photograph under California wildfires.
- Added a cute photograph (figure 5) from the Atlantic. Scroll all the way down to see it.
- I am now caught up.
- August 9, 8:42 pm:
- Added another smoky sunset photograph (figure 2) and two screenshots showing 1) the location of burned areas in the Mendocino Complex fire (figure 3) and 2) a zoomed out version that includes the Carr fire (figure 4) under California wildfires.
- August 9, 11:46 pm:
It should be no surprise to anyone who read Susan McWilliams’ review of Hunter S. Thompson that bikers at a rally in Sturgis, South Dakota, support Donald Trump, even at the expense of their favorite brands of motorcycles. Nor should it surprise anyone that these bikers are pretty well off. Nor should we be surprised that there is a tyranny of the masses at this rally against dissenting views because those masses of asses supporting Trump “often decline to interpret political conflict as a struggle among interest groups or a good-faith clash of opinion.” Instead, just as Kim Messick observed of authoritarian populists he encountered a few years ago, “they tend to identify the country as a whole with an idealized version of themselves, and to equate any dissent from their values with disloyalty by alien, ‘un-American’ forces.” Still, it’s confirmation of a particular picture I’ve been putting together.
Bill Weir, “Bikers salute leader of their pack: Donald Trump,” CNN, August 6, 2018, https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/05/politics/sturgis-biker-rally-supports-trump/index.html
For those of us, including me, too young to remember all the sordid details, William D. Ruckelshaus was the deputy attorney general whom Richard Nixon fired in the infamous “Saturday Night Massacre, Nixon’s attempt to stop a special prosecutor’s investigation.
William D. Ruckelshaus, “Only one other president has ever acted this desperate,” Washington Post, August 6, 2018, https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/only-one-other-president-has-ever-acted-this-desperate/2018/08/06/7eed964e-9994-11e8-b55e-5002300ef004_story.html
Paige St. John, Alene Tchekmedyian, and Rong-Gong Lin, II, “Mendocino Complex fire racing at unprecedented speed into the record books,” Los Angeles Times, August 6, 2018, http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-california-wildfires-danger-level-20180806-story.html
Ryan Felton, “How New York Became the Center of the Fight Against Uber and the Gig Economy Lie,” Jalopnik, August 7, 2018, https://jalopnik.com/how-new-york-became-the-center-of-the-fight-against-ube-1827871915
Ryan Felton, “NYC Becomes First Major City to Cap Uber Cars and Can Set Minimum Wage for Drivers,” Jalopnik, August 8, 2018, https://jalopnik.com/nyc-becomes-first-major-city-to-cap-uber-cars-and-can-s-1828201521
Chris Sommerfeldt, “Trump administration reportedly plans to limit citizenship for millions of legal immigrants, outraging advocates,” New York Daily News, August 7, 2018, http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-news-advocates-trump-citizenship-immigrants-20180807-story.html
Arelis R. Hernández, “Judge halts mother-daughter deportation, threatens to hold Sessions in contempt,” Washington Post, August 9, 2018, https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/immigration/judge-halts-mother-daughter-deportation-threatens-to-hold-sessions-in-contempt/2018/08/09/a23a0580-9bd6-11e8-8d5e-c6c594024954_story.html
International Cat Day
Yeah, I miss having a cat. This photograph is just a little bit older than I am. I found it in the Atlantic in their International Cat Day collection.
- Chris Sommerfeldt, “Trump administration reportedly plans to limit citizenship for millions of legal immigrants, outraging advocates,” New York Daily News, August 7, 2018, http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-news-advocates-trump-citizenship-immigrants-20180807-story.html↩
- Ryan Felton, “How New York Became the Center of the Fight Against Uber and the Gig Economy Lie,” Jalopnik, August 7, 2018, https://jalopnik.com/how-new-york-became-the-center-of-the-fight-against-ube-1827871915↩
- Ryan Felton, “NYC Becomes First Major City to Cap Uber Cars and Can Set Minimum Wage for Drivers,” Jalopnik, August 8, 2018, https://jalopnik.com/nyc-becomes-first-major-city-to-cap-uber-cars-and-can-s-1828201521↩
- Arelis R. Hernández, “Judge halts mother-daughter deportation, threatens to hold Sessions in contempt,” Washington Post, August 9, 2018, https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/immigration/judge-halts-mother-daughter-deportation-threatens-to-hold-sessions-in-contempt/2018/08/09/a23a0580-9bd6-11e8-8d5e-c6c594024954_story.html↩
- Susan McWilliams, “This Political Theorist Predicted the Rise of Trumpism. His Name Was Hunter S. Thompson,” review of Hell’s Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs, by Hunter S. Thompson, Nation, December 15, 2016, https://www.thenation.com/article/this-political-theorist-predicted-the-rise-of-trumpism-his-name-was-hunter-s-thompson/↩
- Bill Weir, “Bikers salute leader of their pack: Donald Trump,” CNN, August 6, 2018, https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/05/politics/sturgis-biker-rally-supports-trump/index.html↩
- Diana C. Mutz, “Status threat, not economic hardship, explains the 2016 presidential vote,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, April 23, 2018, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1718155115↩
- Kim Messick, “Modern GOP is still the party of Dixie,” Salon, October 12, 2013, http://www.salon.com/2013/10/12/modern_gop_is_still_the_party_of_dixie/↩
- David Benfell, “Conservative Views on Undocumented Migration” (doctoral dissertation, Saybrook, 2016). ProQuest (1765416126); David Benfell, “How Donald Trump captured the Republican Party,” Not Housebroken, July 1, 2018, https://disunitedstates.org/2018/07/01/how-donald-trump-captured-the-republican-party/↩
- William D. Ruckelshaus, “Only one other president has ever acted this desperate,” Washington Post, August 6, 2018, https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/only-one-other-president-has-ever-acted-this-desperate/2018/08/06/7eed964e-9994-11e8-b55e-5002300ef004_story.html↩