It’s all happening faster than I expected. I had expected Super Tuesday (tomorrow) to provide the final impetus to push some so-called “moderate” candidates out of the race. Instead, they’re dropping out and endorsing Joe Biden now and it appears that Biden, after all, will be the anti-Bernie Sanders. Of that camp, only Michael Bloomberg, who runs pretty much on money and hubris alone, and whom I’ve already discussed, remains. Chris Cillizza predicts that unless he does very well tomorrow (unlikely), he, too, will come under extreme pressure to withdraw and support Biden. There is, of course, the matter of Elizabeth Warren but she, too, might well endorse Biden. I can’t imagine Biden prevailing except through entirely predictable Democratic National Committee chicanery, in which case, he’ll surely lose the general election.
Chris Cillizza, “The Stop Sanders movement has gone public,” CNN, March 2, 2020, https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/02/politics/bernie-sanders-joe-biden-super-tuesday/index.html
Seema Mehta, “Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar endorsing Joe Biden,” Los Angeles Times, March 2, 2020, https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-03-02/joe-biden-endorsements-harry-reid-klobuchar
- Seema Mehta, “Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar endorsing Joe Biden,” Los Angeles Times, March 2, 2020, https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-03-02/joe-biden-endorsements-harry-reid-klobuchar↩
- David Benfell, “A billionaire likely loser,” Irregular Bullshit, February 16, 2020, https://disunitedstates.com/2020/02/16/a-billionaire-likely-loser/↩
- Chris Cillizza, “The Stop Sanders movement has gone public,” CNN, March 2, 2020, https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/02/politics/bernie-sanders-joe-biden-super-tuesday/index.html↩
- Nathan J. Robinson, “Thinking About The Democratic Primary,” Current Affairs, January 15, 2020, https://www.currentaffairs.org/2020/01/thinking-about-the-democratic-primary↩
- David Benfell, “Bernie Sanders’ supporters have reason to be rude,” Not Housebroken, February 27, 2020, https://disunitedstates.org/2020/02/26/bernie-sanders-supporters-have-reason-to-be-rude/↩