- Originally published, July 23, 2020, 10:16 am.
- July 23, 3:35 pm:
- So I thought my car was done. Rohrich Toyota called me to tell me the relay was in. I thought that meant my car was ready to pick up, but no, apparently this was the parts department calling to say the part had arrived. I found this out after I had returned the rental car, and spent $40 on an Uber ride from the rental car place to Rohrich. Now I’ve spent another $20 on an Uber ride home. Hopefully my car will be ready by 4:00 pm.
- The Wall Street Journal is worried by the latest report on unemployment insurance claims. “The economy’s ability to recover may depend on whether [the unemployed] can stay afloat.” Gonna be a lot of folks sayin’ they told us so. A lot of ’em.
One of the wonders of my brief childhood in Pittsburgh was fireflies. Since returning last year, I haven’t seen nearly so many as I remember then and I wondered if climate change or something else had done them in.
Apparently, they’re still around, but not so much in places where pesticides are used—I’m guessing the maintenance folks dump lots of pesticides on the lawns around my apartment complex—and not so much in hot dry weather like we’ve had the last few weeks.
At least there are thunderstorms.
Mary Ann Thomas, “Where have the fireflies gone in Southwestern Pennsylvania?” Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, July 22, 2020, https://triblive.com/local/regional/where-have-the-fireflies-gone-in-southwestern-pennsylvania/
Chris Walker, “Philadelphia DA Says Trump’s Police Will Be Arrested If They Assault Protesters,” Truthout, July 22, 2020, https://truthout.org/articles/philadelphia-da-says-trumps-police-will-be-arrested-if-they-assault-protesters/
Justin Lahart, “Jobs Warning Light Starts Flashing,” Wall Street Journal, July 23, 2020, https://www.wsj.com/articles/jobs-warning-light-starts-flashing-11595516312
- Justin Lahart, “Jobs Warning Light Starts Flashing,” Wall Street Journal, July 23, 2020, https://www.wsj.com/articles/jobs-warning-light-starts-flashing-11595516312↩
- Mary Ann Thomas, “Where have the fireflies gone in Southwestern Pennsylvania?” Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, July 22, 2020, https://triblive.com/local/regional/where-have-the-fireflies-gone-in-southwestern-pennsylvania/↩