Fig. 1. “Destroyed Russian military vehicles located on the main street Khreshchatyk are seen as part of the celebration of the Independence Day of Ukraine in Kyiv, August 24.” Photograph by Gleb Garanich for Reuters, August 24, 2022, fair use.
I am ending my affiliation with the Green Party. It is clear from their tweets that they choose Russian propaganda and that they support rewarding Vladimir Putin for his aggression against Ukraine and his threats to use nuclear weapons. This at least acquiesces to Russian imperialism and is an absolutely unacceptable position for me. There is only one message that Putin will understand: humiliating defeat.
As it happens, I have not yet voted. Green Party candidates will not be getting my vote; the Democratic Party, with its persistent support for neoliberalism, has forever forfeited my vote; and so, as it now stands, there are no acceptable candidates on the ballot.
Fig. 2. “A woman reacts at a makeshift memorial outside the Tree of Life synagogue following Saturday’s shooting at the synagogue in Pittsburgh, Oct. 29, 2018,” photograph by Cathal McNaughton for Reuters, via ABC News, October 29, 2018, fair use.
Apparently, there was a shooting in Dormont and “there also had been police activity on Broadway Avenue in Dormont just before 4:30 a.m.” It is likely but not clear that the two events are related. Subsequently, according to Dormont white supremacist gangsters, there was a car chase led by a vehicle involved with the shooting ending in a crash on the ramp from the Liberty Bridge to Boulevard of the Allies. This is not the place for a high-speed turn; the turns onto the Boulevard are 90-degree turns in a short space.
Broadway Avenue isn’t very far at all from my grandparents’ old house in Dormont and the portion of Broadway that’s still in Dormont only extends a few blocks.
Julia Felton, “Police say Dormont shooting led to chase, crash on Liberty Bridge,” Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, October 14, 2022, https://triblive.com/local/police-say-dormont-shooting-led-to-chase-crash-on-liberty-bridge/
Fig. 3. Department of Justice photograph of seized materials, reportedly partially redacted, via the Washington Post, August 31, 2022, public domain.
Areeba Shah, “Legal experts: Russia link to Trump documents means it’s a matter of ‘when, not if’ he is indicted,” Salon, October 11, 2022, https://www.salon.com/2022/10/11/legal-experts-link-to-documents-means-its-a-matter-of-when-not-if-he-is-indicted/
Devlin Barrett and Josh Dawsey, “Trump worker told FBI about moving Mar-a-Lago boxes on ex-president’s orders,” Washington Post, October 12, 2022, https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/10/12/maralago-witness-trump-boxes-moved/
Robert Barnes and Perry Stein, “Supreme Court rejects Trump request on Mar-a-Lago documents,” Washington Post, October 13, 2022, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/10/13/supreme-court-trump-mar-a-lago-classified-documents/
Ariane de Vogue and Katelyn Polantz, “Supreme Court rejects former President Donald Trump’s request to intervene in Mar-a-Lago documents fight,” CNN, October 13, 2022, https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/13/politics/supreme-court-trump-mar-a-lago/index.html
Ashley Parker, “Jan. 6 hearing shows Trump knew he lost — even while claiming otherwise,” Washington Post, October 14, 2022, https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/10/14/trump-knew-he-lost-jan-6/
Perry Stein, “Justice Dept. asks appeals court to end Mar-a-Lago special master,” Washington Post, October 14, 2022, https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/10/14/maralago-appeal-special-master-documents/
- Reuters, “Ukraine puts destroyed Russian tanks on display in Kyiv,” August 25, 2022, https://www.reuters.com/news/picture/ukraine-puts-destroyed-russian-tanks-on-idUSRTSALV9Q↩
- Julia Ioffe, “About a Boy: The Roots of Putin’s Evil,” Puck News, May 10, 2022, https://puck.news/about-a-boy-the-roots-of-putins-evil/↩
- Bill Hutchinson et al., “Pittsburgh synagogue-shooting suspect wheeled into courtroom; Trump to visit city Tuesday,” ABC News, October 29, 2019, https://abcnews.go.com/US/pittsburgh-synagogue-shooting-suspect-discharged-hospital-set-make/story?id=58825389↩
- Julia Felton, “Police say Dormont shooting led to chase, crash on Liberty Bridge,” Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, October 14, 2022, https://triblive.com/local/police-say-dormont-shooting-led-to-chase-crash-on-liberty-bridge/↩
- Devlin Barrett, “Justice Dept. says Trump team may have hidden, moved classified papers,” Washington Post, August 31, 2022, https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/08/31/trump-documents-removed-storage-room/↩