It’s still early, but this isn’t looking like much of a news day. What is hitting my radar is mostly stuff that’s in various stages of development. The January 6 committee’s criminal referrals will add pressure, but little else, to the Department of Justice to prosecute, but I’ll still believe there are charges when I see them actually filed. I’m absolutely not holding my breath as Merrick Garland has already demonstrated his negligence.
In Pennsylvania, everything hangs on how the courts rule on who has authority to call special elections and thus when those elections will be held. Today’s reporting shows that the story is only getting weirder. I guess the one lesson we can take from this debacle is a familiar one: Republicans are sorer-than-sore losers.
Fig. 1. “Jake Angeli (Qanon Shaman), seen holding a Qanon sign at the intersection of Bell Rd and 75th Ave in Peoria, Arizona, on 2020 October 15.” Photography by TheUnseen011101 [pseud.], October 15, 2020, via Wikimedia Commons, public domain.
Aaron Blake, “7 things we’ve learned from the Jan. 6 committee report so far,” Washington Post, December 19, 2022, https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/12/19/takeaways-jan-6-committee-report-introduction/
Fig. 2. John Fetterman as mayor of Braddock, photograph uncredited and undated, via Next Pittsburgh, fair use.
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, “How a Pennsylvania state Senate race could throw the House into more chaos,” December 20, 2022, https://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-state/2022/12/19/pa-state-house-majority-democrats-republicans-pennsylvania-senate-special-election/stories/202212190073
- Aaron Blake, “7 things we’ve learned from the Jan. 6 committee report so far,” Washington Post, December 19, 2022, https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/12/19/takeaways-jan-6-committee-report-introduction/↩
- David Benfell, “It is now even more urgently orange jumpsuit time,” Not Housebroken, November 18, 2022, https://disunitedstates.org/2022/08/24/it-is-now-even-more-urgently-orange-jumpsuit-time/↩
- Stephen Caruso, “With majority at stake, Pa. House Republicans sue to block Democratic-scheduled special elections,” Spotlight PA, December 10, 2022, https://www.spotlightpa.org/news/2022/12/pa-house-majority-special-elections-republican-lawsuit/↩
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, “How a Pennsylvania state Senate race could throw the House into more chaos,” December 20, 2022, https://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-state/2022/12/19/pa-state-house-majority-democrats-republicans-pennsylvania-senate-special-election/stories/202212190073↩
- Kim Lyons, “Braddock Mayor John Fetterman keeps on truckin’ in his quest for the Senate,” Next Pittsburgh, March 11, 2016, https://nextpittsburgh.com/features/the-challengers-braddock-mayor-john-fetterman-keeps-on-truckin/↩