Fig. 1. The ruins of a terminal at the Gaza airport. Image by Said Khatib (Agence France-Presse) on September 9, 2018, via the Times of Israel, fair use.
Malachy Browne and Neil Collier, “Evidence Points to Israeli Shells in Strikes on Gaza’s Largest Hospital,” New York Times, November 14, 2023, https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/14/world/middleeast/israel-gaza-al-shifa-hospital.html
Times of Israel, “Attorney general said to warn ministers to be careful when talking about Hamas war,” November 14, 2023, https://www.timesofisrael.com/attorney-general-said-to-warn-ministers-to-be-careful-when-talking-about-hamas-war/
Fig. 1. Sign at demonstration in front of the U.S. Supreme Court, May 3, 2022. Janni Rye, via Wikimedia Commons, Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication.
It’s hard to imagine the chutzpah. After Ohio voters approved a constitutional amendment guaranteeing abortion rights, some state legislators thought it would be clever idea to remove adjudication of the amendment from the courts and put it in the hands of the legislature.
This being the same legislature that had desperately and persistently tried to keep the amendment off the ballot and gotten its hands slapped by the state supreme court. It’s one example of Republican politicians refusing the memo that the abortion issue is handing them their asses.
The good news is that this particular idea is dead. The bad news is that other ideas might have a better chance of passing.
Bess Levin, “RNC Chair Says Republicans Should Be More Vocal About Wanting to Restrict Abortion, Despite Massive Losses for Trying to Restrict Abortion,” Vanity Fair, November 13, 2023, https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/11/ronna-mcdaniel-republicans-abortion
Jessie Balmert, Haley BeMiller, and Erin Glynn, “Speaker pans GOP bill blocking judicial review of Ohio abortion amendment,” Cincinnati Enquirer, November 14, 2023, https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2023/11/14/speaker-pans-bill-blocking-judicial-review-of-ohio-abortion-amendment/71580075007/
- Agence France-Presse and Times of Israel, “20 years after its opening, destroyed Gaza airport embodies grounded peace hopes,” Times of Israel, September 12, 2018, https://www.timesofisrael.com/20-years-after-its-opening-destroyed-gaza-airport-embodies-grounded-peace-hopes/↩
- Kris Maher and Jon Kamp, “Ohio Voters Enshrine Abortion Access in State Constitution,” Wall Street Journal, November 8, 2023, https://www.wsj.com/politics/elections/election-day-ballots-ohio-abortion-maine-texas-colorado-d9922480; Hannah Knowles and Caroline Kitchener, “Abortion rights advocates win major victories in Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia,” Washington Post, November 8, 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/11/07/abortion-ohio-kentucky-virginia-elecitons/↩
- Samantha Hendrickson, “Republican faction seeks to keep courts from interpreting Ohio’s new abortion rights amendment,” Associated Press, November 10, 2023, https://apnews.com/article/ohio-abortion-overthrow-judicial-powers-77a68c1e6ee6fc79462f6aaf4ea1a323↩
- Jessie Balmert, “Ohio Supreme Court rejects legal challenge, clears path for November abortion rights vote,” Cincinnati Enquirer, August 11, 2023, https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2023/08/11/ohio-supreme-court-rejects-legal-challenge-to-abortion-rights-issue/70567955007/; Susan Page, “Bellwether? Ohio voters back abortion rights amendment in a test case for other states,” USA Today, July 24, 2023, https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/07/24/ohioans-back-abortion-rights-amendment-a-test-case-for-other-states/70413318007/; Patrick Marley, Rachel Roubein, and Kevin Williams, “Ohio voters reject higher bar for altering constitution, a win for abortion rights supporters,” Washington Post, August 8, 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/08/08/ohio-election-issue-1-abortion/; Andrew J. Tobias and Jake Zuckerman, “Ohio voters reject State Issue 1, defeating hurdle for abortion-rights vote in November,” Cleveland Plain Dealer, August 8, 2023, https://www.cleveland.com/news/2023/08/ohio-voters-reject-state-issue-1-defeating-hurdle-for-abortion-rights-vote-in-november.html↩
- Bess Levin, “RNC Chair Says Republicans Should Be More Vocal About Wanting to Restrict Abortion, Despite Massive Losses for Trying to Restrict Abortion,” Vanity Fair, November 13, 2023, https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/11/ronna-mcdaniel-republicans-abortion↩
- Jessie Balmert, Haley BeMiller, and Erin Glynn, “Speaker pans GOP bill blocking judicial review of Ohio abortion amendment,” Cincinnati Enquirer, November 14, 2023, https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2023/11/14/speaker-pans-bill-blocking-judicial-review-of-ohio-abortion-amendment/71580075007/↩