Fig. 1. “A Toyota bZ4X electric sport utility vehicle: EVs currently on the market are fitted with batteries that use liquid lithium-ion electrolytes.” Photograph by Kiyoshi Ota, n.d., via Financial Times, fair use.
Uber wanted to know why I haven’t gone for an electric vehicle already. Their survey was terribly crude but I was able to express concerns about range, charging time, and charging availability. More seriously, their push reflects a high technology arrogance that assumes everything they do is perfect when those of us who have to use it know very well otherwise.
And, as it happens, a Wall Street Journal reporter has discovered the problem of non-working charging stations, which is yet another reason to wait. She visited charging stations in the Los Angeles basin. But there’s every reason to believe the problems she found are universal.
My plan remains to wait for Toyota’s offering in this space.
Joanna Stern, “I Visited Over 120 EV Chargers: Three Reasons Why So Many Were Broken,” Wall Street Journal, November 15, 2023, https://www.wsj.com/tech/i-visited-over-120-ev-chargers-three-reasons-why-so-many-were-broken-7a5d3e45
Fig. 1. The ruins of a terminal at the Gaza airport. Image by Said Khatib (Agence France-Presse) on September 9, 2018, via the Times of Israel, fair use.
United Nations Security Council resolutions, like one just adopted requiring Israel to permit days-long ‘pauses,’ to allow humanitarian aid to get in and hostages to get out, are binding, but Israel has practice ignoring them.
Seb Starcevic, “UN Security Council adopts resolution for ‘humanitarian pauses’ in Gaza,” Politico, November 16, 2023, https://www.politico.eu/article/un-security-council-adopts-gaza-resolution-calling-for-humanitarian-pauses/
Adam Taylor, “Al-Shifa Hospital raid serves as potent symbol in Israel-Gaza war,” Washington Post, November 16, 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/11/16/al-shifa-hospital-symbol-gaza-israel/
- Andrew J. Hawkins, “Uber pledges to shift to ‘100 percent’ electric vehicles by 2030,” Verge, September 8, 2020, https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/8/21427196/uber-promise-100-percent-electric-vehicle-ev-2030↩
- Joanna Stern, “I Visited Over 120 EV Chargers: Three Reasons Why So Many Were Broken,” Wall Street Journal, November 15, 2023, https://www.wsj.com/tech/i-visited-over-120-ev-chargers-three-reasons-why-so-many-were-broken-7a5d3e45↩
- Peter Campbell and Kana Inagaki, “Between hope and hype for Toyota’s ‘solid-state’ EV batteries,” Financial Times, July 4, 2023, https://www.ft.com/content/457269a7-9500-43ed-bfb7-f729d19de5ee; Emily Dreibelbis, “Toyota Inks Deal to Mass Produce Solid State EV Batteries With 932-Mile Range,” PC, October 13, 2023, https://www.pcmag.com/news/toyota-inks-deal-to-mass-produce-solid-state-ev-batteries-with-932-mile; Kana Inagaki, “Toyota says solid-state battery breakthrough can halve cost and size,” Financial Times, July 4, 2023, https://www.ft.com/content/87cb8e92-8e82-4755-8fc3-2943f8f63e1d; Akito Tanaka et al., “Toyota bets on solid-state as CATL eyes Thailand,” Financial Times, June 15, 2023, https://www.ft.com/content/09e23ac9-f73a-4104-aa2e-33ea48eba67a↩
- Agence France-Presse and Times of Israel, “20 years after its opening, destroyed Gaza airport embodies grounded peace hopes,” Times of Israel, September 12, 2018, https://www.timesofisrael.com/20-years-after-its-opening-destroyed-gaza-airport-embodies-grounded-peace-hopes/↩
- Seb Starcevic, “UN Security Council adopts resolution for ‘humanitarian pauses’ in Gaza,” Politico, November 16, 2023, https://www.politico.eu/article/un-security-council-adopts-gaza-resolution-calling-for-humanitarian-pauses/↩